Sunday 17 January 2010

The Curse of Buying Tickets in China Continues...

I can't book tickets or hotels for Tibet in April now. No. That's not possible.

In Shanghai, I tried to book train tickets from Suzhou to Shanghai next Saturday. I went to the automatic ticket machine. Typed in the date, the time, departure station, arrival station. There were no seats available on the selected train. Back to home screen. Re-select train. Select number of tickets. Re-type all previous typed information. Message flashes: 'go to Suzhou station. You must buy tickets in Suzhou station.' But I'm in Shanghai? That's not possible.

I want to go to the cinema on Friday night. Today I went there to try and buy a ticket.

"Hi. Can I book tickets to see Avatar on Friday night please?"

"What day?"

"Friday."

"Afternoon or evening?"

"Evening."

"Imax or normal 3D?"

"Imax"

"What film?"

"Avatar."

"You can't book tickets for that film until Friday morning."

"What about normal 3D? Can I book tickets for that now?"

"No. Not until Tuesday."

"So if I come in on Tuesday or Friday evening to book tickets, there will be some available?"

"No. Probably not. Probably too busy."

"So how can I get tickets?"

"Come on Wednesday night."

"But... you just said...?"

I had to walk away, my teeth grinding slightly and my nails digging into my palms.

So that's official: it's not possible to buy plane tickets, cinema tickets, train tickets or reserve a hotel except on a randomly selected day that you will not know about until you have already wasted time, effort and energy on going to the ticket vendor. Not possible.

Just accept it.

No comments:

Post a Comment