Saturday 31 October 2009

Red Hair

Last Sunday I dyed my hair red. It’s pretty damn red. The change has proved more controversial than I'd anticipated. I have been surprised and amused by people’s reactions. Apparently in Suzhou it is de rigueur to tell people that you think their hair looks crap. Here are a select few comments:

“So. Did you mean your hair to turn out like that?”

(to me) “Oh. That’s… well… that’s certainly a change. Do you like it? Do you really like it?” (to Alan) “What do you think of that?”

“What possessed you to do that to yourself?”

“Oh. It’s you. I’ve been looking all over for you. I didn’t recognise you with your hair like that I thought you were some sort of wayward teenager.”

“It must be pretty tough when you’ve got hair like that to pick out clothes that match.”

“Chinese people think red is a lucky colour but they’d never have their hair like that.”

(at a Halloween party) “Where did you get your wig?”

No comments:

Post a Comment